Karine N'guyen Van Tham has "the fiber in her". This is the right words she uses to define her unconditional love of textiles. After her studies at the Beaux-arts of Marseille, in space design, she followed a training in upholstery. With her CAP, she made in 2013 her first own linen lines, before deciding in 2017 to design her own textiles with her loom. Today, in the slamming of the smooth of her japanese weaving Saori she realizes wall hanging textiles works thought as inheritances.
Her wall garments works, seen as magical stuffs don't be wear but hang, expose themselves. As a way out of time, each suspended or levitating piece of art is crystallized in our contemporary spaces to tell us its story. Remnants of another time, they become soul support to touch, to rub near or far.
Second sacred skin of an underground creature, a soul-mender or a lonely warrior, each piece is that of a being apart. A being imagined and narrated by Karine herself, between personal mythology and dreamlike characters.
It is by creating the garment, the second skin of her characters that Karine gives them life here.
True textile souls, they become visible, open a gap on our reality and give us to see what our eyes can not perceive; A frontier world, mystical, precious, where the beings who work in silence sometimes appears.
Karine doesn't create simple clothes. She weaves, through each piece, links, bridges between the visible and the invisible, the real and the dreamlike.
Hand weaving, vegetable fibers, silk, natural dye and natural pine cones's scales; Each piece, unique and precious, is intimately linked to nature, bringing us closer to the earth and taking us to other spheres.
"Clothing is for me an inseparable element of being, it is shaped to us to become our second skin. A soul support to invest or never leave.
I see in the garment an indefectible proof of the existence of a being rendering it in some way immortal. It is a living trace that persists over decades, centuries".
- Winner of the 2017 "Ateliers d'Art de France" regional contest with her work "Cérémonie Lunaire" - Creation Prize - Brittany Region
- Salon Maison & Objet - From 08 to 12 September 2017 - Paris
- "L'atelier, d'Ateliers d'Art de France" - From September 20 to October 29, 2017 - Paris
- Solo show at the art galery "La cour des métiers d'Art" - From August 1rst to October 20, 2019 - Pont-scorff, Brittany
- Exhibition "Parures, Objets d'art à porter" - Factory Museum of Roubaix - From September 06 to October 08, 2019